Over the coming days, we are featuring each of the 20 workshops in the 10th IACL World Congress 2018 on “VIOLENT CONFLICTS, PEACE-BUILDING AND CONSTITUTIONAL LAW”, being held in Seoul, Republic of Korea on 18-22 June 2018. Full details are on the congress website, in English and French, along with information on how to submit a paper. Papers may be in either French or English.
WORKSHOP #9 Financial Crisis and Constitutional Responses
- Elena Simina Tănăsescu (Romania/ Roumanie) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Tom Ginsburg (USA) (email@example.com)
In the wake of the most recent financial crisis, some countries have tried to constitutionalize budgetary and fiscal discipline. Others sought to double down on social and economic protections.
This panel seeks to attract a range of papers on the relationship between financial crisis, regulation and constitutions. Issues to be addressed include the following:
- What is the impact of these constitutional provisions adopted in the wake of financial crisis, and have they worked in practice?
- What is the role of international institutions, including multilateral development banks, intergovernmental organizations and rating agencies, in constitutionalizing these issues, and in their actual performance?
- How are other aspects of the economic constitution affected by financial crisis?
- How have courts responded?